Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Covergirl Perfect Blend Pencil Crayon [eyeliner in black]

 

 

Hey everyone!

This should be the last week of old discontinued/repackaged/renamed/limited edition products. Last week and this week had a special category of no name products because the product brand name and/or name had been rubbed off.

In Today's blog I am going to be reviewing a Covergirl Perfect Blend Pencil in the color black. The reason why this product was placed under the special category of no name is because the only reason why I can make out that it even says Covergirl Perfect Blend Pencil Crayon is because it had been engraved into what feels like wood of the actual pencil. I have no idea what the name of it is because either it wasn't put on there or over the years the name got sharpened away. The color comes off as black. That is why I added the in black part.

I usually don't like or use pencil eye liners, but what I really like about this eye liner is that on one end you have the eye liner pencil product and on the other side it comes with a little sponge-like tip that can be used for smudging the eye liner. I don't know why, but I think that idea is really cute! Back in the day it was probably a fairly new and original idea. I like that it gives that option.

I have no idea how much I paid for this product, but I've had it quite a long time. I did some research on this product on the Covergirl official website and according to them, this product is actually still around. The only option they have is Basic Black so I assume that what I have and what that is are fairly the same. I went on Walmart's website to check out the price of this product and it says the price is between $2.62 to $4.44. I don't know why there is such a huge difference in pricing. I don't like how Walmart does that. The product looks pretty much the same. I don't know if they did renames or repackaged this item. I'm sure they changed something about it, but it still comes with the sponge-like tip for smudging. It appears they may have changed the name from Crayon Pencil to Eye Pencil. They may have changed formulas.

The product claims are: soft smudger for expert blending and water resistant. I do agree that the spongy tip does allow for smudging and does a good job. I don't have an issue with that. But I don't like the claim that it is water resistant because I have not experienced that myself personally with this product. I do not know with 100% certainty if the one I have was also advertised as waterproof or not. But that doesn't make a lot of sense to me because if it's actually waterproof, then why try to sell this product as the perfect smokey eye with a spongy tip for smudging? I don't know, that kind of doesn't make sense to me. How did Covergirl go so long with selling this product as both a waterproof and a smudging eye liner? In my head that screams oxymoron. Why would I want a waterproof eye liner that smudges? And if it smudges, then is it really waterproof?

*Fair warning: this product appears to still exist in the Covergirl line, but it appears to have been semi-repackaged, renamed, and may have been reformulated. My product doesn't say which eye liner it is, but I am going to assume Basic Black/Black.

I would also like to warn that this product advertising involves an oxymoron. I don't think you can have a water resistant smudgy eye liner.*

 

RATING:

Price: 9/10
Packaging: 8/10
Amount of product: 10/10
Pigment: 10/10
Longevity: 8/10
Product claim- water resistant: 6/10
Application: 8/10
Overall product: 8/10
Would I buy it again: 7/10
Total: 74/90=82.22%=82.2%=B

My personal rating: 7/10=70%=C

Comments: I took a point off because even the price isn't that bad, especially around $3.00, the fact that Walmart is playing games by having such varied price between the same product is a bit ridiculous. I don't have any issues with the packaging, it looks like any normal eye liner pencil. I like that it comes with a spongy tip on the end for smudging, although, I took points off because I personally am not a big fan of eye liners that are pencils that I have to sharpen. I prefer the eye liners where you can twist the product in and out. For the price, even at the highest end of about $5.00, you definitely get a decent amount of product! I like the pigment because the color definitely shows up dark, but with the spongy tip you do have the option of dulling it down, depending on your personal preference. I really like that this product allows the consumer to control whether they want to have vivid pigment of the eye liner or have a more subtle eye liner so it definitely got the full points for being versatile like that. When it comes to longevity of the product is when things get a bit messy when talking about this product. I applied it to my hand, waited about a minute or so, and then rubbed it and the color came off, except it left a very subtle black line behind. I would say that this product would last for a couple of hours tops before it started fading. Now the issue that I have with this product is that Covergirl claims that this product is waterproof, but at the same time being smudgy. On the official Covergirl website the description of the product is that it is a blendable eye liner and doesn't claim anything about being water resistant, but if you scroll down and off to the side the website underneath the product picture it says water resistant. I just don't understand that concept. I also disagree that this eye liner is water resistant because as I mentioned above for longevity, this product after sitting for about a minute on my hand then rubbed with my finger came off way too easily. In fact the more I rubbed it the more the product came off. Before when it left a very faint line, you can barely see that line. I cannot see and have not seen this eye liner be water resistant. I had to take off major points for this claim. The application of this product for me is not very smooth, but that could be because I have had it for quite some time. I am taking that into consideration. The eye liner on me does not apply evenly or smoothly. From what I remember about using this product in the past is that it didn't apply evenly or smoothly then either. The product fades out over time. If it's extremely hot or you are working up a sweat then this product fades. I would definitely buy this product again if I used eye liner pencils and if I was creating a smokey eye look. I would recommend this product for short/air conditioned events even though it says water resistant.

Thank you so much for reading!

Sincerely,
Marina

No comments:

Post a Comment