Wednesday, January 30, 2013

NYC (New York Color) Liquid Lip Shine in #557 Sheer Raspberry (discontinued)

Hi everyone!

 

I have been wanting to do a review on the NYC (New York Color) Liquid Lip Shine in #557 Sheer Raspberry for a while now. I'm not entirely sure why I haven't, but I guess it just never came up. In my mini NYC haul I stated that I don't normally think of NYC as a go to makeup company.

I bought this lip gloss about 2-3 years ago when I was trying to put together a Halloween costume. I ended up being a rock angel. I went to Walmart looking for cheap makeup/costume type of things. I picked the color I thought was going to be the most Halloween-like. When I got home and tried it out I found that I actually liked the color, I liked how it went on smoothly and it was actually a very cute lip gloss. I apparently thought the color was going to be a lot darker than it turned out to be. I don't remember how much I spent on it, but it could not have been more than around $2. I was looking for a dark red color to go with my costume to stand out. At that time I didn't really wear red lipstick because I didn't think I could actually wear red. That's why I bought it for Halloween thinking it's going to be this bright lip gloss to go with my costume. Normally I would go for nude colors or actual lip glosses that had no color to very slight color.

When I was looking on the NYC website I could not find it on there. I am going to assume that since it's been about 3 years that they discontinued this product which is very sad to say. I did notice on the website that they have liquid lip shine that has completely different packaging and different lip colors along with different names.

After writing about the mini haul a few days ago I remembered that I had this liquid lip shine and that I have been wanting to do a review on it. The only good thing about it being discontinued is I don't really like the packaging because some how when you try to screw the cap on the product comes up and out creating a huge sticky mess. I had to wrap a paper towel around it so I could put it in my makeup drawer with my other lip products because it was creating such a mess. I really do like this lip shine and really like the color.

With the mini haul reminding me I had this product and now finding out that it's discontinued I am doing a quick review because I am trying to get all of my limited edition/discontinued products out of the way. If I had not been reminded by my mini haul I probably would have done this review later on not even realizing that this product doesn't exist anymore. It seems like a good time to do a review on this product.

*FAIR WARNING: regrettably as of 01/30/2013 from going to the NYC (New York Color) official website this product does not exist anymore*

Rating:

Packaging: 7/10
Price: 10/10
Amount of product: 10/10
Pigment: 10/10
Longevity: 8/10
Smell: 7/10
Taste: 7/10
Application: 10/10
Texture: 10/10
Different lip types: 10/10
Overall rating: 8/10
Would I buy it again: 3/10
Total: 100/120=83.33%=83.3%=B

My personal rating: 9/10=90%=A

Comments: As I stated above I have an issue with the packaging leaking the product out all over everything which is really messy so I had to knock a few points off for that. The packaging itself is cute and would have gotten the full points if it didn't leak. I honestly don't remember how much I paid for this item, but I know it had to have been around $2 so I am basing my rating on that. It seems that you get a lot of product in this lip shine. I've used it a couple of times and there always seems to be product coming out. This lip shine gives a hint of a red color, but I would not go to this product if you are looking for a lot of pigment. It does have a nice hint of color, but not what I would normally call pigmented. It is mostly glossy than pigment. I would not say that this product lasts a long time on the lips, but normal lip glosses don't usually last very long so if looking for a lasting product I would not reach for this one. I do feel that this lip gloss does come off more quickly than most lip glosses. It doesn't have staying power. You would definitely need to reapply it often. This lip product has a very waxy smell to it. I would say it's about a medium smell in the fact that with most products once applied you can't smell them anymore, but this you can still slightly smell the waxy smell. This lip product also has a very waxy taste to it. I can taste that I'm wearing and eating wax, I just hope it isn't toxic, lol. I love the application of this product it goes on very smoothly and evenly. The texture of the product feels like you are wearing a lip gloss, but it's not heavy, I would say it feels fairly thin, like a thin waxy layer. It does not feel sticky at all. Because of some wax-like-thing going on in this lip product I would say that anyone can wear it including people with dry lips. It actually feels like it adds moisture to the lips upon application. Besides the leaky packaging and the waxy smell and taste, this product is actually very good. I would recommend it, but I can't because it looks like it has been discontinued. I'm not sure if I would buy this product if it was still around because of the three main problems, there are so many lip glosses out there that have better packaging and don't have the smell or taste of wax, for around the same price.

Thank you so much for reading!

Sincerely,
Marina

No comments:

Post a Comment