Wednesday, October 29, 2014

NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in #604 Milk

Hi everyone!

In today's blog I am going to be reviewing the NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in #604 Milk. I heard a lot of rave reviews from many different people on Youtube about the NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils, specifically, the one in Milk. In their defense, they were raving about this pencil as a white base for eyeshadows. The official NYX website describes this pencil as being able to be used on the water line, but I disagree. I disagree with that idea because 1. they made their jumbo eye pencils actually jumbo which does not work well with my small eyes and 2. they do not have the waterproof option if you do decide to use this jumbo pencil in the water line which is not good for me either because then the product gets in my eyes causing them to water. I bought this pencil as an eyeshadow base and I was excited about trying to use it in my water line, but honestly, I could not even get the product on my water line because it was so jumbo sized. I did use this pencil as an eyeshadow base and I really liked it. I would say that my feelings are somewhat neutral on this product because it has both good and bad for me. These two NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils were the first ones I bought because I heard from beauty gurus on Youtube talking about using white on the water line for small and tired eyes because the white color makes the eyes look bigger and brighter. Then some time later I heard from beauty gurus to use a flesh color because then it blends in more so if you don't want people to see the bright white, the flesh color would do the same trick, but blend in more which is why I bought the NYX Wonder Pencil in light. I will do a review on that in the following day's blog.

According to the official NYX website this product is currently being sold and in this particular color which is Milk.

*My personal warning of this product is that the Jumbo Eye Pencils are jumbo sized and are difficult to apply for me on my water line! Also, my eyes are sensitive so if I don't use waterproof on my water line then the product leaks into my eyes causing irritation and problems. I put this part in bold because I wanted to bring awareness to these two problems that I had with this product.*


Rating:

Price: 10/10
Packaging: 7/10
Amount of product: 10/10
Pigment: 10/10
Longevity: 10/10
Application: 10/10
Texture: 10/10
On the water line: 3/10
As an eyeshadow base: 10/10
As an eyeshadow: 3/10 
Sharpening: 7/10
Overall product: 7/10
Would I repurchase: 7/10
Total rating: 104/130=80%=B

My personal rating: 7.5/10=75%=C

Comments
I bought two Jumbo Eye Pencils because my local Ulta was having a deal of buy 1 get 1 half off. The price of both of the Jumbo Eye Pencils separately was $4.49, but I got one half off so it was about $2.25. I think that is not a bad price, especially for how big they are. The one main issue I have with the packaging is that it really is jumbo sized and difficult to use in the water line, at least for me. The packaging itself is cute, but the clear cap doesn't fit very well and both of mine cracked just from taking the cap off and putting it back on. I think that this jumbo eye pencil has a decent amount of pigment, especially with a good eye primer. You can layer this color to build pigment. This creme jumbo eye pencil has decent longevity, it is not advertised as long lasting, and I think it lasts normally. The pencil applies smoothly and evenly. Surprisingly, this eye pencil does not feel thick or heavy, in fact, it feels very creamy. I have small eyes so small eyes plus jumbo sized eye pencil does not work very well together. I tried to do it and I kept poking my eye so I gave up. I think if you don't have small eyes/water line then it would work better. I think that this pencil works wonderfully under eye shadow and because it is so white it really makes the eyeshadow colors pop. If you put this on the eye and then put even a light colored eye shadow, it really brings it out. Unfortunately, because this is a creamy eye pencil my other issue is that I cannot use creamy eyeshadows because I have very oily eye lids so cream eyeshadows and oily lids do not mix well. For me personally, I would not use this as an eyeshadow. I would use it as a base eyeshadow and put powder eyeshadow/s over it. From reading around online people are suggesting that you can sharpen this pencil with a large makeup pencil sharpener, but it doesn't sharpen very well. When I look at mine, I do not think it is meant to be sharpened because there is plastic around it. People also suggested trying to depot the eye pencil. I'm not sure how to rate this because if it is supposed to be sharpenable then it sucks and if it is not meant to be sharpened then there are other ways to get the product out. I will probably just go the depoting route when it gets low. Overall, I would use this jumbo eye pencil as an eyeshadow base and not as the product was advertised on the official NYX website of as a water liner and eyeshadow. I would repurchase this product because I think it makes a really good base and really helps to bring out the pigment of the eyeshadows.

Sincerely,
Marina

No comments:

Post a Comment