Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Neutrogena Skin Clearing Oil-Free Makeup in #50 Natural Buff

 

 

Hey everyone!

This week I am trying to finish up reviewing products that I've had for a while that may be discontinued, repackaged, renamed, limited edition, etc. Continuing with that theme I have decided to break away from reviewing lip glosses to review other products that I have that fit this category. I still have a ton of lip glosses to review because I have always been a lip gloss freak. I have a ton of lip gloss. In this blog I am going to be reviewing a foundation.

In this blog I am going to be reviewing the Neutrogena Skin Clearing Oil-Free Makeup in #50 Natural Buff also known as liquid foundation. I think this is one of the first liquid foundations I bought a really long time ago. I think about 5-6 years ago. I didn't think I used it as much as I did because the bottle is about half empty. I have used it recently for when I was making videos along with another foundation. When I used to have more combination oily skin specifically in the T-Zone I bought this foundation because I was afraid of liquid foundation causing me breakouts. I also bought this product because my mom used to buy a lot of Neutrogena product so I geared towards it because that is what I mostly saw in the house- Clinique, C.O. Bigelow, and Neutrogena. For my first liquid foundation I decided to try Neutrogena.

I personally don't like it because it is too sheer of coverage for what I like. That was very disappointing. It was difficult to build the coverage. I am very pro medium to full coverage, leaning more towards full coverage because of the redness to my face that I want to cover up. I would say this might reach low levels of medium coverage, but that's not for me. This foundation is pretty thin.

I was researching this product on the Neutrogena website and what I found out is that they redid the packaging a little bit. The foundation is pretty much the same because it's square packaging with different colored writing with Microclear Technology being added on the bottle. It was kind of repackaged. It looks like it's still in a glass bottle. They did get rid of the foundation shade #50 in Natural Buff, now they only have it in Buff.

On the bottle packaging Neutrogena has a lot of really positive claims about the product. When you read the label under Use, it says that it is for the management of acne. On the opposite side it continues to claim: natural looking-never heavy, controls shine, and clears and helps prevent breakouts.
I do agree with the claims that this product is natural looking-never heavy, in fact, it goes on the skin very sheer. I don't like my natural skin so when I use foundation I want medium to preferably full coverage.
I do not agree with the claims that this product controls shine and clears breakouts. I do not know with 100% certainty if it helps prevent breakouts, but I don't usually break out after using this product so I would say that's fairly true. 

*Fair warning: the product Neutrogena Skin Clearing Oil-Free Makeup in #50 Natural Buff does not exist as seen in this blog. However, it appears Neutrogena has repackaged this product with different colors and different claims. #50 Natural Buff has been discontinued.*


RATING:

Price: 10/10
Package: 10/10
Amount of product: 10/10
Coverage: 7/10
Longevity: 8/10
Skin Clearing (Clears and helps prevent breakouts) advertisement: 6/10
Controls shine: 6/10
For different skin types: 6/10
Application: 10/10
Overall rating: 6/10
Would I buy this again: 3/10
Total: 82/110=74.54%=74.5%=C

My personal rating: 6/10=60%=D

Comments: I honestly do not remember how much I paid for this product. I am going to say some where between $6.00 and 8.00. I know that's a bit of a big range, but I feel like it was about $7 so putting that range on there seems appropriate. According to Walmart.com the price of them now is about $12. I may have paid maybe more like $8 for this foundation. That's not too bad for a drugstore foundation. Neutrogena is a trusted brand so I feel that it is a bit expensive because of that, but it's not bad. I feel that you do get a decent amount of product. It lasted me years from using a little bit. I'm basing my rating on the package that I have for the amount that I think I paid. As I stated above I had an issue with the coverage. When you first take the product out of the bottle the product feels a bit thick, but once you apply it on your face and give it a little bit of time to dry, then it diffuses into being sheer coverage. If you are going to try to build the coverage then I would definitely recommend waiting for it to dry before applying more layers. From what I remember I used to wear this for part-time work with light sweating from running around and it lasted for work. I maybe have worn it to go bowling a few times. I would say the longevity of the product is good for normal every day wear. If you work up a sweat then I would not recommend it because the foundation starts sliding around. On the claim of skin clearing clears and helps prevent breakouts I had to lower the rating because I do not believe that it actually helps clear breakouts although it does some what covers up the surrounding redness of blemishes, but I do agree that it does help prevent breakouts from the foundation. I gave it the full 5/5 points for helps prevent breakouts and I took some points away for clears breakouts because when I applied it to a blemish in between my eyebrows it took a short time, but it ended up popping the pimple and then it didn't heal until several hours later. If you want your pimples popped by foundation then this is it. I don't like that it pops the pimple in order to eventually clear it.  I do not feel that this foundation helped to control the oily/shine in my T-Zone. The foundation started breaking down. If you set it with powder it might be okay. I am not entirely sure how to answer for different skin types. I would recommend this product for people who have very minor imperfections of the skin who want sheer foundation coverage. I want to say I would recommend this to people who have acne problems, but I don't feel comfortable doing that because if I had a serious acne problem I would not want someone recommending to me a sheer foundation that would show the acne through the foundation. I would recommend it to people with acne problems because it helps prevent from breaking out further from wearing this foundation which would help people with acne problems. I had no problem with the application, it comes out of the bottle and it applies evenly and smoothly. I'm not sure if I would recommend this product, I can't recommend this specific one though. I haven't tried the new skin clearing foundation, I think they may have added to the formula.

Recommendations:
I would recommend this foundation for people who have very minor imperfections who only want sheer coverage
I would recommend this foundation for people who worry about breaking out from wearing foundation
I would recommend this foundation cautiously to those who have acne problems if you are also looking for foundation that won't further break you out with sheer coverage
I'm not entirely sure if I would recommend this for dry skin because the point of this product is to take oil out and it might further dry the skin

I hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Marina

No comments:

Post a Comment