Monday, February 4, 2013

Neutrogena Moisture Shine Gloss in #04 Glimmer (?)

Hello everyone!

Today I am continuing last weeks theme of discontinued/repackaged/limited edition items that I have in my makeup collection. This past weekend I found out that my Neutrogena Moisture Shine Gloss appears to have been discontinued, but that's understandable since I've had this for over 5 years. I did not purchase this item so I have no idea how much it was. I was either given the item or I found the item in a junk drawer in our house. I did some online search on this product and I found different colors in the same line, but not this exact one on sites like ebay and amazon, but they are limited items so once they are gone, they are gone.

The funny part of this whole thing is that the lip gloss is so tiny that they had to make a very tiny sticker on the bottom of the lip gloss and over the years the paper has moved a little, so between it being super tiny and a little creased, I cannot read it. I've thought about buying a magnifying glass just so I can read what it says. On one side of the lip gloss it says in large letters Neutrogena MoistureShine Gloss and from what I can read on the tiny little sticker it's in #04 Glimmer. If anyone knows for sure if #04 Glimmer actually existed as a product to let me know that would be greatly appreciated!

Now when I was doing a search on Neutrogena's official website, I did stumble upon a product called Neutrogena MoistureShine Lip Smoother that comes in similar color that is called Glimmer. But the full title, the packaging, and the consistency appear to be completely different. I cannot say with 100% certainty if the product that I have has been repackaged/reformulated into this or not.

There is a product called Neutrogena MoistureShine Gloss that appears to have been completely repackaged, but I cannot see any similar color and none of them are called Glimmer. None of the other names come even close to what the previous names I have seen.

It is very strange. If I had to speculate, I would say Neutrogena took the MoistureShine Gloss in Glimmer and turned it into a MoistureShine Lip Smoother in Glimmer. I do not know how to verbally differentiate between a lip product that has color with gloss and a lip product that has very slight tint of color but mostly gloss. All I know is that one lip gloss, the one that has the more pigmented color, comes in a round container usually with an applicator and the other, very slight tint of pigment, comes in a squeezable plastic triangle shaped packaging. Different makeup companies have different names for them to add to the confusion.

*Fair warning: the product Neutrogena MoistureShine Gloss in #04 Glimmer does not exist as is seen in this blog.*


RATING:

Price: 8/10
Packaging: 8/10
Amount of product: 6/10
Pigment: 10/10
Longevity: 8/10
Smell: 9/10
Taste: 8/10
Application: 8/10
Texture: 10/10
Different lip types: 9/10
Overall rating: 8/10
Would I buy it again: 3/10
Total: 95/120=79.16%=79.2%=C

My personal rating: 8.5/10=85%=B

Comments: I did not pay for this product so I'm not sure how much it was. I looked on Neutrogena's website and the Moisture Shine Gloss is going for $7.99 and the Lip Smoother is $6.99. Since this an old formula I don't think the product does everything the current lip products say so I took a point off for that. I took another point off because I feel that even though the price is not terribly expensive, you can find similar cheaper lip glosses than this one. I took off points on packaging because even though the packaging itself I don't have an issue with, what I do have an issue with is the size of the product for the price and it is so tiny that I can't even read the sticker label for the product. Out of frustration I had to rate it down. Once again with amount of product you get is not a lot. If anybody spent more than $3.50 on this I would have to give this product a 4/10 because that is way overpriced (I am taking the fact it's Neutrogena into account in the price). If you are looking for pigmented lip gloss, I would not reach for this, especially the color that I have it in, it might as well be a clear lip gloss. It does have a decent amount of sparkle. The longevity of this lip product lasts like any normal lip gloss, but I do feel it lasts a little bit shorter than most lip glosses. It has a kind of sweet waxy smell if that makes sense, but the smell fairly light and once on the lips you can't smell it. It does have a bit of a weird aftertaste that I can only describe as some kind of weird waxy taste. It might be trying to be like a sweet waxy flavor, but failing. I noticed that the application itself isn't difficult, it goes on smoothly and evenly, but I am having a hard time getting the product out of the packaging. It doesn't look like there is product on the applicator, but there does appear to be some when I run it on my lips. It might be the product is a bit dried out because it's from a long time ago. I didn't find anything weird about the texture of this lip product. It does feel a bit waxy though. I just put this product on my lips that were somewhat dry and it went on evenly and smoothly. My lips look shiny and fairly smooth. I think the waxy lip glosses tend to apply better on all lip types, but it does feel dry. I would not recommend using this product as a moisturizing lip gloss. I would recommend this lip shine/gloss, but since it's discontinued I can't.

If this product wasn't so small and difficult to get product out of the container, I would probably have given this product a 10/10 because overall, it's not a bad lip gloss and it works well on dry lips.

Thank you so much for reading!

Sincerely,
Marina

No comments:

Post a Comment