Thursday, October 13, 2016

IPSY, December 2014: Cailyn Just Mineral Eye Polish in #5 Orchid

Hi!


In today's blog I am going to be reviewing products that I received in my beauty subscription service called IPSY for December 2014. IPSY is a beauty subscription service that costs $10.00 a month or I think if you purchase all 12 months at the same time you get one month free. Unfortunately, since this service is so coveted, they usually have waitlists. I was on the waitlist for at least a month or month and a half before I had the opportunity to bypass the waitlist if I allowed IPSY to post on my facebook and I subscribed to a bunch of youtube videos. I was glad to do it to get off the list. You get decent sized products and I have always received at least 5 products in my bags. IPSY does have a beauty quiz that you take and you can review products that is supposed to help customize your bag, but I guess doing it for 4 months wasn't enough for it to get customized or they don't pay attention to the beauty quiz. I eventually cancelled my service because they were sending me a hand lotion, a face product, and a hair product in one bag and then two items may or may not be what I wanted to actually try.  I did not request any of those products on my quiz. It was really disappointing. I also have specific needs when it comes to eyes my mascaras and eye liners have to be waterproof otherwise it causes a lot of problems.

In this blog I am going to be reviewing Cailyn Cosmetics Just Mineral Eye Polish in #5 Orchid. Initially I was uberly excited when I saw the color of this product because I love it and would wear the heck out of it. Unfortunately, as beautiful as the color is, I have to be careful wearing this product because I have super oily eye lids. Mineral makeup plus oily lids equals a mess. The product slides off and around and gets in my eyes. I am so disappointed! I wear have to wear a really good eye primer and eye base with this product for it to even have a chance of surviving on my eye lids.

IPSY does not include item descriptions or prices on their insert.

Rating:

Price: 7/10
Packaging: 10/10
Amount of product: 9/10
Pigment on fingers: 10/10
Pigment on eye lids: 7/10
Longevity: 9/10
Application: 10/10
Blendability: 9/10
Different eye lid types: 9/10
Quality: 7/10
Overall rating: 8/10
Would I purchase: 7/10
Total rating: 102/120=85%=B

My personal rating: 6/10=60%=D

Comments:

Yikes! According to the official Cailyn Cosmetics website they want $15.00 for this product. $15.00 for a product that I can't wear. It says it is all natural which is good, but I would not spend $15.00 on a mineral eye shadow. The packaging is super cute! It is different than the packaging I have seen before. It has a clear container so you can see the product inside, the design of it is unique and cute. What I like most about the packaging is that when you untwist the cap and lift it off there is a cute little wand inside so that you can use the wand to apply the product! I wasn't expecting that at all the first time so I was completely shocked. I like the wand it came with. It works very well with the product! That was a cool surprise. You do get a nice size of product even for the amount. You can definitely get quite a few wears out of this product. I am so in love with the color of this product! It's very light brown tan with a ton of shimmer. On the fingers the pigment shows up well. On the eye lid the pigment gets lost especially when applying with the cute wand it comes with. It looks pretty, but very soft , but you can definitely see the goldish shimmer in it. It's a very soft pigment on the eye lid. I used an eye shadow brush and the pigment showed up much better but as it sits the pigment fades out. The eye shadow is inconsistent because without eye lid primer the pigment lacks but the shimmer shows really well and the pigment looks light brown pink with gold shimmer. With the eye lid primer the color shows more of a pink/red with gold shimmer. The color changes. I don't like when products do that. Surprising this product is lasting a lot longer than most mineral eye shadows that I have used in the past. I also cannot use cream eye shadows unless they are specifically waterproof. I think with a really good eye primer you could get a decent amount of long wear out of this. The application is super smooth and even. I think this eye polish has blending abilities. You can blend the product out itself or you can blend it with other shadows. With good eye primer and/or eye base this product should be okay. I'm really surprised. The quality for longevity seems to be pretty good, but the quality of the pigment seems a bit inconsistent which I don't like. Depending on eye primer it changes colors from looking more brownish/tanish/pinkish to brownish/redish. Overall, I love this color and I think the packaging is super cute with the wand, although, the wand doesn't work with this product very well. I might try this eye polish with a clear gloss to see what it looks like and how it works because I think it would be really pretty on the lips. I can't see myself purchasing this product for $15.00.

Sincerely,
Marina

No comments:

Post a Comment