Friday, October 14, 2016

Lip Monthly, December 2014: Magnolia Makeup Lipstick in Matador

Hi!


In today's blog I am going to be reviewing the products I received from the beauty subscription service called Lip month for the month of December 2014. Lip Monthly is a lip focused beauty subscription service that costs $10.00 a month if you jump on their deals. Lip Monthly used to give 4 lip products and 1 non-lip product. This December bag was the only bag that I had not received 5 products in. That was a bit disappointing, but this bag came with only lip products which was cool. They were all full sized which is even cooler.

In this blog I am going to be reviewing the Magnolia Makeup Lipstick with applicator in Matador. I can honestly say that I was excited about trying the brand because I had never heard of it before and I love finding new lip products, but I was not excited that they sent me Matador which looks like a rich red color. As you can tell and as I have gone through reviewing products I received a lot of red colored lip products from Lip Factory to Lip Monthly to IPSY. It got to the point where I was screaming, "ENOUGH RED ALREADY!" I don't normally wear red at all and all the product samples I was receiving were for red products. That was a bit disappointing.

Description:

Magnolia MakeUp
Lipstick w/ Applicator $15

Rating:

Price: 7/10
Packaging: 10/10
Amount of product: 10/10
Longevity: 7/10
Application: 8/10
Pigment: 10/10
Smell: 10/10
Texture: 8/10
Taste: 9/10
Different lip types: 10/10
Overall rating: 7/10
Would I purchase: 0/10
Total rating: 96/120=80%=B

My personal rating: 7/10=70%=C

Comments:
My usual budget for lipglosses/lipsticks/lip liners is around $10.00 or less unless I am specifically buying MAC or a lip gloss that I absolutely love. I would not spend $15 for this product. The packaging is simple, but cute. It comes in a round clear container so you can see the product inside. Inside the cap there is an applicator, but most lip glosses come with one. I think that you do get a decent amount of product even for the price. The longevity of this product is difficult to put in a nutshell because it is super liquid-like when applied to the lips, but then as it dries, it leaves a stain on the lips. The stain slightly comes off. It's one of those that doesn't claim on the packaging that it is supposed to be a lip stain so I'm not sure why Lip Monthly called it a Lipstick. Maybe because after the water stuff dries up into the lips there is a very matte bright red stain that is left on the lips. At first I was kind of shocked because I was not expecting that at all. But even though it was a bright red stain, the product was still coming off slowly so it appears to not be a full waterproof/stain lip product. The application of this product is not good because it is too wet. I didn't feel confident applying this product to my lips and it was kind of difficult because it did feel like the applicator wanted to slide off my lips. With the color being so red and pigmented and with it wanting to slide off it was not a good experience for me personally. The pigment is so intense that the product lasts on the lips a while, but the stain transfers product when you touch the lip to something. I would call it semi-permanent because the glossy/wet stuff is super dark red and does not last at all, but once it dries it turns into a bright red stain look that stays on but doesn't stay on. I hope that make sense... Both the glossy/wet dark red pigment and the bright red pigment are super pigmented! This lip product doesn't appear to have a smell to it which is nice. I was kind of terrified of what I was putting on my lips. I love lipglosses because they tend to be very glossy/wet on the lips, but this product was over the top glossy, I wasn't sure I was going to be able to keep it on my lips because it really felt like it wanted to run away. The texture is super smooth, too smooth and liquid-like. I think the lip liner I used has a lot more gross taste than this lip product. I could tell a little bit, but it wasn't overpowering and not super gross at all which I was also surprised about. I think this product is okay for normal to dry lips. If you have dry lips this product should be no problem sliding it on. Normal lip types might find this product to be a bit slippery and I would highly recommend using a lip liner to keep this product in place and definitely from going outside the lip line. Overall, I found this product to be a very strange one. I have definitely never experienced anything like this product before. It can't decide what it wants to be so it tries to be a lipgloss, it tries to be a lipstick, it tries to be a lip stain, all in one. Very confusing. The application of this product scared me because it felt like it just wanted to go all over. When the product is on the lips and you are waiting for it to dry you just want the whole process to be over. It really hurts me to rate a product below 90% because I can usually find at least a few redeeming qualities of any lip product no matter how horrible it is, but this is one of those that I would personally stay away from until it decided what it actually wants to be and doesn't feel weird being applied to the lips like it's super oily that it just wants to slide off. The price definitely doesn't help this product in my book.

Sincerely,
Marina

No comments:

Post a Comment